Thursday, October 4, 2012

Former Students With Great Perspectives

http://behindcompanies.com/2012/10/how-to-find-a-job-after-college/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/opinion/an-unhelpful-presidential-debate.html?emc=eta1

***************
"One's philosophy is NOT best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes. In the long run, we shape our lives and we shape ourselves." (Eleanor Roosevelt)
***************

The great gift that you get when you have the opportunity to share your thoughts with excellent students is that they "energize" you and continue to inspire you even after they've graduated from your class or your school.

Marcelo Somers comes back to talk to my classes and he posts on his blog and, all the while, he gives me energy transfusions! My students like him because he's close enough in age to have them "feel" he is still one of them. He's gone out in the big bad job market and done something creative and relevant with his bachelor's degree - that would be the degree that I think is now the equivalent of a high school diploma - and he takes the time to come back and talk to others about what they could do.

His blog posts talk to the issues that surround business competition and challenge all of us to think about them. His current post (attached) is a classic and a "must read."

                                                              *****
                                                             
I try to stay away from politics in my classes (where I think I'm pretty successful at doing so) and in this blog but I have to comment on the NY Times take (attached) on last night's presidential debate.

First of all, I don't watch "presidential debates" because they'd cause me to fall asleep. But, I was interested this morning in the reaction of many supporters of President Obama that he was not really that good. I'm being kind here. When even your supporters don't think you did well, there's a problem. Chris Mathews (NBC), who admits to being and enthusiastic supporter of President Obama, was beside himself! I must admit that I was more concerned about the Yankees.

I have to say that I liked the NY Times characterization of "The Mitt Romney who appeared on the stage at the University of Denver seemed to be fleeing from the one who won the Republican nomination on a hard-right platform of tax cuts, budget slashing and indifference to those at the bottom of the economic ladder. And Mr. Obama's competitive edge from 2008 clearly dulled, as he missed repeated opportunities to challenge Mr. Romney on his falsehoods and turnabouts."

Evidently, the moderator, Jim Lehrer, didn't help much either. So, three people trying to look good on TV and no real facts exchanged. It would appear that President Obama could have done better but chose not to. Maybe he thinks he can win anyway. Somebody should tell him that no U.S. president has ever been re-elected with an unemployment rate above 6%.

6 comments:

  1. Professor, I don't think you give yourself enough credit!

    I tend not to watch politics because nothing ever happens. We need FDR to come back from the dead and set things right. There is a reason he was elected beyond two terms! He didn't care what the media thought, failed, and tried again. Unfortunately, our present day politicians are to busy playing the blame game, instead of admitting it didn't work and moving on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesenia: Great point, as always! You're right about FDR!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Glad to read about Marcelo. He has some cool stuff going on.

    Gee. I missed the debate. What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about Marcelo. The Yankee game was more interesting than the debate. Let's see if the debates get better.

      Delete
  3. Reagan won his second term with an unemployment rate of 7.2%, so your facts are a little off there.

    http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/06/news/economy/obama_reagan_recovery/index.htm

    Still no question, Obama had a poor performance in the eyes of Democrats and Republicans. It gets a little more interesting when you look at polls of undecideds post-debate. Non-partisans are put off by combativeness and arguing, so perhaps it was Obama's strategy to capture them by appearing statesmanlike. Who knows. Either way it's going to be an interesting election.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig: Great point, but I think you agree with me in theory about Presidents returning to office with rampant unemployment in their first terms. I actually read 6% somewhere but I'm too old to remember where.

      Delete